Monday, June 20, 2011

Beginning a Protector

Hello,

I recently decided to give Forsaken World a try since I had to depart from my beloved World of Warcraft due to my demanding job, all my side projects and not wanting to spend €12 a month on a game I was getting tired of. So I started my first character, a warrior which is now level 19 and a mage which is level 11. I started playing with my cousin and since he created a healer I just felt it was my duty to create a TANK.

In this blog I will tell my story and the challenges I came across while venturing as a complete n00b in the lands of the Forsaken World.

In Forsaken World universe, probably because it is still new, you don't find a lot of HELP like you have in games such as... World of Warcraft. Most of the help information around the internet is spread around dubious forum posts, general purpose blogs or fan sites which are too general specially since I'm just a beginner. So this is why I decided to start this.

So here we go, let us make a mighty Protector in the Forsaken World. We start in the server selection screen. You can select any server but one with a low PING is probably better. If you are playing with friends you need to make sure to start all on the same server.



After selecting the Server you need to log in. If you don't have an account you can easily create one. Once you have logged in you are presented with the character creation screen. Here you just press "Create" on the bottom-left of your screen and you're ready to begin. Protectors are unique to a special race called Stonemen and as the name suggests they appear to be made of stone (which is handy for a TANK). Also in the initial screen, before pressing the "Create" button, you should be aware of the REALM selection list. This is a list of REALMS on the server you previously picked. You also need to select the same server as your friends if you wish to venture together. You can still invite to parties and talk to them, but you won't be able to see them in the world and as far as I know you won't be able to fight the same creatures.

Creating a character is simple and doesn't take much time if you aren't too picky on how your character looks. I believe the random button deliberately tries to make your character as ugly as possible. Once you have created your character you return to the character selection screen where you can select one and press "Start".

Two things you need to be aware when you begin:
  1. The amazing auto-walk which, in my opinion, is an awesome thing specially if you are like me and believe your time playing should be doing things instead of just walking from place X to place Y to deliver a quest. Nothing like a toilet break while your character goes from one quest zone to another.
  2. The start up tutorial is very good and will give you a decent overview of things. So if you're like me and skip a lot of quest texts and stuff, be a bit patient and make an effort to read the tutorial pop-ups and info text just to get a grip on the game basics.

One more thing about the auto-walk. It tries to find the shortest path between you and your selected objective. To activate this you can:
  1. Open the map (M key) and click anywhere on it.
  2. Mouse over a quest, wait for the pop-up text to appear and then click any of the bright-green text that shows up. Beware that it can either be your objective or the person that gave you the quest.
That's all for now. Keep doing the initial quests until you are level 10. After that things get a bit trickier and there is a lot of information to absorb. But I will leave that for following posts.

Enjoy the Game